Chair, Canada India Foundation
President, Excelsior Financial Group
Satish Thakkar is a Canadian entrepreneur, a renowned professional, a committed community leader and a passionate philanthropist, with a string of accomplishments to his credit. He is the President of Excelsior Group, a Toronto-based multidimensional, multifaceted business conglomerate that has executed various commercial and residential development projects, and is in financial consulting business.
A visionary serial entrepreneur, Satish believes that entrepreneurial ingenuity and integrity are the most effective catalysts to bring about socially inclusive economic prosperity in society. It is this simple business philosophy that has guided him to launch diverse ventures; and his success in these endeavours is premised on the guiding principles of social inclusiveness, entrepreneurship, and economic prosperity for all.
A CGA from Ontario, and a Chartered Accountant from India, Satish is a multifaceted personality with keen interest in philanthropy, community development, and Canada – India bilateral relations. Satish served as the President of the Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce (ICCC) in 2011-12.
A fervent advocate of diversity and multiculturalism, Satish believes that Canada is an economic and socio-cultural powerhouse because of its vast and varied diversity. He has utilized the many platforms, such as the Toronto Board of Trade, the Conference Board of Canada, among others, to advocate the formation of multi-ethnic business networking forums for small businesses.
Satish is a pioneer in popularizing Yoga, Ayurveda & mindful living in Canada. He has organised many public programs in GTA for enthusiasts to practice Yoga. Satish promotes the Vedic way of life which inculcates the values of living in consonance with nature.
Satish is the recipient of many accolades.
- In recognition of his contributions to enhancing Canada-India bilateral ties, the Ottawa-based Embassy magazine named Satish as one of the top foreign policy influencers in 2013.
- He was honoured with the Ivy Thomas Award by CGA Ontario for his outstanding business, public service and charities in 2013.
- Ed Fast, Canada’s then Minister for International Trade and the Asia Pacific Gateway, nominated Satish with the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal in April 2012.
- Also, in 2012, the Canadian Immigrant magazine awarded him the Top 25 Canadian Immigrant Award.
- He also accepted the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman, India’s highest civilian award, from India’s then President Pratibha Patil in 2012 on behalf of ICCC.
- The Mid-Week Newspaper Group awarded him the South Asian Professional of the Year award in 2011,
- ICCC bestowed him with the Member of the Year award in 2011.